Paper Hangover asks FIVE excuses you're ready to give up to be a better writer.
1) I don't have time to read-- LIES-- GOOD WRITERS READ!
2) Not everyone gets published, there's no point in trying-- TRUE-- But you learn, you get better, you become stronger, and most important, you don't stop trying.
3) Being published is the only thing that matters- WRONG- a good story is a good story, WRITE THE STORY YOU WANT TO READ, publishing is a business, but at the end of the day, you need to be proud of the words on your screen.
4) I need to write constantly, avoiding all human contact will make me stronger--- UM, no. And it will make you one step away from being a hobbit.
5) My manuscript is perfect, I don't need anyone to read it, I can just send it to an agent and poof I'm a New York Times Bestseller. --- I'm so sorry I can't hear you because of my laughter... BETAS ARE REQUIRED and if you're not social enough to find one on your own, to show your work to 1 person then HOW are you going to handle being a New York Times Bestseller.
NO EXCUSES! GO, READ A BOOK, WRITE WHAT YOU WANT TO READ AND GIVE IT TO A BETA.
BTW today starts the OFFICIAL DAY 1 of WEEKEND OF AWESOME.
Expect a super awesome recap next week.