Monday, August 16, 2010

Why are you taking my stuff, Gloria?

All About Me: Mondays

Last week we got rid of my daughter's pay pay (pacifier).  She is two and half. 

DON'T JUDGE ME! 

Let's go back and look at how and why she got on in the first place.  Prior to her birth I swore up and down that I would not be one of THOSE parents who let their kids have a pacifier.  Then she was born, and I was living off of 4 hours of sleep, not one block of 4 hours but 8 half hour snipits of sleep in a 24 hour period.  I took her to the doctor, because babies go to the doctor like every day and half  (or 6 hours of sleep for mom). My doctor said that paficiers can prevent SIDS and helps a baby sleep.  For $2 I tripled my sleep and she STOPPED crying.

Then around the time we were going to take it away, we switched her from a crib to a bed.  Do you know what happened?  She went SPRINTING to bed every night.  No fight. No screaming.  She crawled into bed, stuck her pay pay in her mouth and was out cold.  There is only one word to describe this: AWESOME.

What jackass would give this miracle up?

But now she's getting to be a big deal and while I'm home from work, hubby and I figured it would be a good time to get rid of it.

Daughter and I talked about how she was a big girl using the potty and she would need to get rid of her pay pay.  She went two days without it, lots of crying on her part. We told her she did a good thing and she would get a prize.  (DON'T JUDGE!)  Last Sunday we took her to the mall, we went to Build a Bear.  For those of you who don't know, Build a Bear is a store where you build your own teddy bear.  You get a creepy bear skin, a giant tube gets crammed into the bear's spinal chord and it get stuffed with fluff.  Then you dress the bear.  These bears have clothes nicer than mine and they cost just as much.

My daughter was excited for Build a Bear, she picked out her panda bear, she told the bear stuffer person that she was a big girl and she put the pay pay inside the bear. She picked out night night clothes for the bear, bunny slippers and a smaller stuffed polar bear for the stuffed panda bear.  (Ok you can judge) She named it Gloria (although in retrospect she might have been saying gorilla).  $37 later we left the mall and by the time we got home the kid had a 104 fever.

For those of you who don't have kids, a little FYI,  babies and toddlers get 24 hour fevers and no doctor will see your kid because there is NOTHING you can do, but give her fever reducers, ice pops, water and let her watch as much of TV as her little brain can handle.  (I watched the same episode of Team Umizoomi at least 7 times)

During her fever she asked for her pay pay.  CRAP.  I sat down with her and said, "Sweetie, it's inside Gloria, remember, you out it there. Do you want to snuggle her?"

She started at the panda and threw it to the other side of her bed.  This is her way of saying, "this is BS mom, and you know it."

Her fever broke and life returned to normal, but she doesn't like Gloria, at all.  Mostly because Gloria stole her pay pay.

Now instead of her falling asleep in 4 minutes, it takes 45 minutes.  Gloria is cutting into her sleep time.  My 2 year old knows what it's like to be a mom.   Nice.

8 comments:

  1. This too shall pass. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does get better - but the memories and the stories you can tell about them live forever!

    I would have given anything, ANYTHING!!!, if my daughter would have taken a pacifier. She was NOT a good sleeper and colicky to boot. Such fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Build-a-Bear. That's like... the second most awesome store ever, next to WalMart. I have a bunny and three bears from that place. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no! the BINKI! i hated those days of trying to wean them off the pacifier. when we told my eldest daughter it was time to give up her binki, she gathered them up herself and threw them in the trash as if to say, "eph you mom and dad." needless to say, she cried for weeks.

    thanks for sharing your story - believe me, it does get better....but then they become...dun dun dun...TEENAGERS! ACK!

    oh btw - there's an award for you at my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Gloria, hated and stuffed with with a pacifier. What a life. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gloria, the kleptomanic Panda Bear. I can see it becoming a kid's show in a year's time...

    ReplyDelete