I’ve been meaning to write this for a while. As a write I’m am consumed by fear.
Here’s a brief list of very personal fears I have when it comes to my writing:
1) What if I’m not good enough?
2) What if I fail?
3) What if I end up being the only one of my friends without an agent?
4) What if I get an agent?
5) What if the agent can’t sell my book?
6) What if the agent does sell my book and people read it?
7) What if this is all a huge waste of time?
8) What if I look back on my time and think, I should have played with my kid more?
9) What if I’m successful?
10) What if I’m forced to quit my job as a teacher? (which if you know me by now, you know I LOVED IT)
That’s just a small sampling of fears I have. My biggest fears are 7 and 8.
yet despite these fears, I really want to query. Why? Because even
though I know odds favor rejection, its hope that someone will like it,
someone will request it and hope beyond hope maybe an agent will offer
me a contract.
For all the rejection and fears it’s the thrill of acceptance that I hope for.
Anyone else feel the same way?