Monday, August 29, 2011

Blog Break

I don't know what the universe is trying to tell me, but the one week I take an unexpected break from blogging I've been evacuated three times.

Remember the earthquake?  I do.  It was AWESOME. I was in the middle of training for the Common Core Standards.  I was after shocked but the lack of excitement from my co-workers.  Mostly they were filled with terror.  I wanted to yell, "Dudes, you got a roller coaster ride.... FOR FREE and NO LINES.  Freaking sweet."

Interesting, when it was happening, not once did I think, "hmmm, maybe I should leave this 30 year old building."

I do remember standing outside, watching my co-workers get all flustered  and asking my supervisor, "Are we going to finish training now?  'Cause I've got stuff to do in my classroom, so I don't want to do this tomorrow."

We were sent home five minutes later.

The next day, after another meeting, I returned to my classroom and smelled burning wood.  But it wasn't intense or even threatening, it was like a fireplace in the winter.  Shortly after that it smelled like marshmallows.  It was very lovely.

Three minutes later we were evacuated.

This time I brought my laptop so I could work.  I was not the only one.  About twenty of my co workers, leaned against the building (that was on fire) to work in the only shade on the property, so we could see our screens.

The building wasn't on fire, one piece of wood was scorched by a worker on the roof.  No big deal.


The next day I was working out, I had gotten about 10 minutes into my 30 minute workout. When the lights starts to flash and we were told to leave.  Someone left the door to the steam room open and it triggered the smoke detector.

And as I write this blog, a hurricane is coming.  By the time this goes live, the huricane will pass and I'm sure blogs across the east coast will be loaded with pictures of the damaged or force of the wind and rain.

It's supposed to hit us at 2 am.   Most likely there won't be any cool pictures from me.

Be safe everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment