So Alex Cavanaugh is hosting a Blogfest about the top 10 songs that move us.
My Top 10
10) AC/DC Shook Me All Night Long--- this is my get pumped song
9) Live Lightning Crashes --- this song was on EVERY mix tape of mine during my teen years.
8) Rise Against Entertainment A song about the music industry, "despite these petty fortunes we can't afford our lives," sums up the complexity of the music industry in the simplest terms.
7) Saving Jane You Say--- this band never breached the top 40 but I was always very impressed with their albums. You Say is perfection heartbreaking and wonderful.
6) Ludo Streetlight--- a song that's totally Ludo and yet not like them at all, beautiful and haunting.
5)Green Day Good Riddance (Time of your life)--- Best Green Day Song EVER
4) Derek and the Dominoes Layla-- sure it might be about some other guy's wife (that other guy being a Beatle and all) but when still, awesome. When the piano kicks in towards the end of the song I remember thinking, "Yes that is what songs are missing."
3) The Airborne Toxic Event - Gasoline/ Sometime Around Midnight Gasoline is one of my favorite songs on the album but Sometime Around Midnight was the first song I've ever heard that made me STOP what I was doing, shh my husband and listen to the song- the first time I heard it. The world stopped. I remember exactly where we were and what we were doing.
2) Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah"---- This is possibly the greatest cover song of all time. This song inspired me to write a novel.
1) Bruce Springsteen Candy's Room- I'm a Bruce fan, some might say Thunder Road, other's might say Born to Run, but my all time favorite is Candy's Room. it starts out with a whisper and ends with an explosion. As Fire is amazing as well.
In other news- last week I ran a contest and we have a four way tie. Pick your favorite out of the the four. This is the best opening line in a novel.