1) Don't be boring- I guess this means a really long sentence that doesn't say much expect describing Tupperware or trees or dirt or something.
2) Make your writing accessible-- I shouldn't have to look up five out of the twelve words in the sentence. If you're a smarty pants that's fine but ween me into it.
3) Action-- keep it interesting, put the reader in the center of the action.
4) No extra words--- don't use two words when one will do. Cut all your useless empty words, like, pretty, that, just, --- by cutting those words your book is already a lot stronger.
5) Pick only the best word- you want to sucker punch your reader not gently nuzzle them.
So those are my tips for how to write a stellar first line. Time to show off.
You can either e-mail me your first line or leave it in the comments below. I will set up a cool looking contest page, and you can vote on the one you like the best- the winner gets an i-tunes gift card. WOOT.
Fricking Awesome First Lines.
- You will need to e-mail or post your first line in the comments on Thursday's post.
- You need to be a follower of the blog.
- Vote for your favorite on Friday.
- Winner will get a $10 gift card and a 10 page critique from me.
All entries must be posted by 11:59 pm Thursday.
The Friday blog will go up sometime on Friday.
Voting ends Sunday 11:59 pm.
You need to be a follower to post a first line but you don't need to a follower to vote-- so tell your friends.