Thursday, January 20, 2011

First Line- how to start.

So after skimming this wacky thing called the internet I've learned a few things about first lines.

1) Don't be boring- I guess this means a really long sentence that doesn't say much expect describing Tupperware or trees or dirt or something.

2) Make your writing accessible-- I shouldn't have to look up five out of the twelve words in the sentence. If you're a smarty pants that's fine but ween me into it.

3) Action-- keep it interesting, put the reader in the center of the action.

4) No extra words--- don't use two words when one will do.  Cut all your useless empty words, like, pretty, that, just, --- by cutting those words your book is already a lot stronger.

5) Pick only the best word- you want to sucker punch your reader not gently nuzzle them.


So those are my tips for how to write a stellar first line.  Time to show off.
You can either e-mail me your first line or leave it in the comments below.  I will set up a cool looking contest page, and you can vote on the one you like the best- the winner gets an i-tunes gift card.  WOOT.

Fricking Awesome First Lines.
RULES:
  • You will need to e-mail or post your first line in the comments on Thursday's post. 
  • You need to be a follower of the blog. 
  • Vote for your favorite on Friday.
  • Winner will get a $10 gift card and a 10 page critique from me.
My e-mail is fussymonkey2 at gmail dot com in the subject line say "first line"

All entries must be posted by 11:59 pm Thursday.

The Friday blog will go up sometime on Friday.
Voting ends Sunday 11:59 pm.
You need to be a follower to post a first line but you don't need to a follower to vote-- so tell your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment