Monday, July 05, 2010

Music and Writing

I love music. I hate silence. Serious, it freaks me out. As a teacher I get panicky when I hear NO noise, it means something BAD is about to go down. I need sound, music or the screams of a child to make me feel at ease.

When it comes to writing NEW material I found I can not listen to music I love. I can't do it. I start off writing about the character's mother and her relationship with the mailman and the next thing I know I've got Green Day Lyrics filtered through out. Or worst of all, I start to sing. No one needs THAT in their lives.

I can listen to the music I LOVE when I'm revising and doing line edits or doing a Seek and Destroy... that's what I call going through the entire document and cutting all the adverbs, that, just, pretty, all the empty words. I normally do a find and replace sort of thing in Word.

When I write, I need music I've never heard before. Normally I bust out my i-Tunes and start listening to my recently added list.

I won't lie, music is my biggest expense. I buy a lot of music. Why? Because the music is hurting more than the publishing industry. I know the band only makes 10% of the CD sales, but the band has a lot more people they have to employ.

Sometimes I use music I don't even like very much, artisy folk music where the musician isn't singing about sex and drugs, but about real life. I sort of hate that crap. Sorry if I offended anyone.

When finishing Penny and Hank I listened to Arcade Fire and the first Manchester Orchestra EP.

So what do you listen to when you write?


BTW- I've been away in BOSTON since Thursday. I've been writing the blogs ahead of time. I'm not snubbing you and I promise to get back on track when I get home.

4 comments:

  1. As another teacher, I know exactly how you feel - silence is just a little scary!

    I tend to put my iTunes on shuffle and let it go. When I'm in the first draft I rarely hear it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love music, but I don't listen while I write. It's not silent in the house by a long shot, but I don't put any music on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately I haven't been listening to music when I write. (That's because it's been during meetings (shhh).) But when I listen to music, I try to set up a playlist of music that differs from what influenced me during my last project, but it has to be stuff I know otherwise I'll focus more on the music than my writing. Also, I'll sing offkey but thankfully Hubby doesn't care.

    And, it was great to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love music as well, but I usually don't listen while I write - it has to be absolute silence for me (or rain).

    ReplyDelete