Monday, July 12, 2010

Book review:The Secret Year

Welcome to BOOK REVIEW WEEK!


The Secret Year by Jennifer R Hubbard
One sentence review: AWESOME until the end.


Why did I read it:
This was another book I had read a lot of buzz about and since Nathan Bradford represented it, I thought I'd give it a try.

The plot:
Colton meets a rich girl named Julia. The beginning of the book he learns about her death and spends a year trying to deal with it. Julia and Colton had a secret relationship. Julia had a very public relationship with her boyfriend, who was everything Colton was not.


What I liked about it:
I loved LOVED LOVED the first 140 pages. The characters were rich, the writing was crisp, I felt completely satifiated with everything. Colton felt real, it was like I wasn't even reading, but he was hanging out with me. While he's very causal about his sexual relationship with Julia, it's never described and it never creeps me out. It's very matter of fact.

What I didn't like about:
The ending. The last 30 pages where a complete let down. The big reveal wasn't that big because we already assumed it in the beginning. Colton was disappointing. The climax didn't feel like it fit in with the rest of the book. It really made me wonder what the other drafts were like. Did the publisher make her change anything?

Overall: It's a good read. It's a fantastic read if you don't finish it. Seriously. Around page 140 you can stop and feel completely content.


Pages 1-140 10
Pages 140- to the end--- 3

Total rating: 6.5

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this yet. I love the cover on it. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've hard good and bad about this one. I'm still going to give it a try, I think. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete