Friday, February 11, 2011

That's YAmore Blogfest

Oasis for YA loves blogfests.  And we love good YA romance.  So we decided to combine the two in our first annual That's YAmore Blogfest.

Starting the Friday before Valentine's Day (that's February 11th), we invite you to post 250 romantic, swoon-worthy words from your YA WIP.  Then check out the entries from some of the other participants.  (Just be sure you have a fan and/or a cold glass of water on hand.)  We know your Valentine will appreciate you getting yourself in a romantic state of mind.


Here's a snippit from my WIP Penny and Hank.

I replayed every moment I spent with her. How many times I missed opportunities. The one opportunity I had and I fucked up at Christmas. Why had that hurt me so much?
        
  Let’s look at the beginning. Why did I freak out when Adam threatened to hurt her? When we were locked down here, why was she my number one priority? Why was did I care so much? I never cared this much about anyone else.
         
  I knew the answer but I couldn’t bring myself to it. What if I admitted it and she rejected me again? Was it worse than losing her forever?
           
The dogs barked. Bruiser jumped off the couch and ran to the front door. No knock. It opened. 

“PENNY!” I jumped to my feet. I jumped over Meathead and threw my arms around her. She felt small, thinner. I buried my head in her neck, trying to hide my tears. She wrapped her arms around me. Her head nestled on my shoulder. “I’m glad you’re home.”
          
I held her for as long as I could, forgetting about social norms that said that a hug should be no more than thirty seconds. I only stopped when she said, “Hank, are you watching Dora the Explorer?”
         
  “Um,” I peeked over my shoulder and sure enough Dora and Boots were singing that they did it, but I wasn’t sure what they did. “I think Swiper is an interesting character.”
          
“I missed you,” she whispered.







It gets hotter and later on, but I opted to go for funny.


If you like Blogfests, you might want to check out my Gone But Not Forgotten Blogfest where you post your top five TV show's no longer on the air.  You can check it out here.  

19 comments:

  1. I loved the Dora the Explorer and the "we did it!" part. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you exposed the guy's angst. And lightened it up at the same time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you went funny! I literally laughed out loud at him jumping over Meathead (which I really hope is one of the dogs). I'm impressed with all the male POV excerpts I've read so far this morning!

    Oh, and I totally love that you admitted your blog was a shameless tool for winning contests!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did it! We did it! We did it, hooray!

    hehehehe

    That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, this was great! I love humor during lovey-dovey moments--it's so true to real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have an excerpt to share, but I look forward to reading ones from those who participate. Love the Dora/Boots reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Hank made me laugh at the end, great excerpt! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great one- I love your voice. It's complex, a little sweet, and always funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL... any time you can successfully work Dora, Boots, and Swiper into a romantic scene... you've done a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you really pulled off that Dora part. I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I wonder why they were ever locked up together and - like him - why she was his number one priority. (and I can attest for blocking out children's shows when you're mind is busy - I just looked up and realized iCarly is on!)
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute and intriguing! I love humor and you're definitely showing it off here.

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww. Very cute. Nice to see his thoughts and how he works out in his mind that he likes her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely funny, and very cute! I like the implication that she missed not only him, but everything about him (because of his line just before that--how dorky and lovable it is). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a sweet scene, I love that he "jumps over Meathead" to get to her-- I think it might have revealed that he likes her just a tad! And I agree with what others have said, Hank saying he likes the Dora the Explorer character was both funny and cute.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think funny can be sexy too. Loved Meathead!

    ReplyDelete