Thursday, July 15, 2010

Book Review: How to Say Goodbye In Robot

reposting this again. Curse you BLOGGER. Now you all know my shameful secret, I blog ahead of time. NOOOOOOO!

How to Say Goodbye in Robot

One line review: Cute, the Robot angle didn't really work for me, but cute and satisfying none the less.

Why did I read it?
Ok, I've basically only read books this summer that came recommended on some list somewhere. This was another book that had a lot of buzz over the winter and I just got around to reading it.

Plot:
Bea has to move from New York to Baltimore (BTW that's where I live) and since she's relativaly emotionally unaffected by this move, her mother calls her a Robot. Bea dubs herself Robot Girl. Once she's in school, she sits next to Ghost Boy, who's real name is Jonas. (start singing the Weezer song here) Jonas has been bullied and tormented most of his educational career. Now a senior in high school, he never speaks to anyone but for some reason volunteered to be in charge of the year book. Jonas had a twin brother who died in a car accident along with his mother. However one day he gets a phone call stating his brother is not dead but in hospital. Ghost Boy and Robot Girl go on a quest to find him.

What I liked:
The characters felt real and while it takes place in my home town, I don't think it added or hindered to the story at all. It was kinda cool to know all the locations the author was talking about. I really liked the character development of Ghost Boy. I liked the ending a lot. It was sad but completely satisfying.

What I didn't like:
I wasn't to into the subplot with Bea's mother. I thought it was going some place else and was disappointed when the truth was revealed. The idea of being a robot seemed more like a gimmick than a plot device. I'm not a fan of something being labeled at quirky either. But that's not fault of the author as much as the marketing.

Rating: 8 out of 10.

Summary:
Overall it was a solid plot, with a few short comings. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the best book I've read all summer.


The best book is coming TOMORROW!!!! No, the BEST book will be coming on Friday... PRomise... it's called The Half Life of Planets and it's AMAZING

NO SERIOU

1 comment: